Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)
النتائج 1 إلى 10 من 10

الموضوع: Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)

أخ/ت جديد/ة
    التسجيل: Sep 2010
    العضوية: 8999
    الإقامة: Kozáni, Greece, Greece
    الحالة: Ioannis غير متواجد حالياً
    المشاركات: 10

Array

Post Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)

On Raising Children

An elder said:
    Prayer is trusting God. When your trust is completely in God, it is not even necessary to pray for something, for God takes over. It's just that one ought to wait with patience for the fruit to ripen and fall off the tree. Therefore, parents, trust your children in God.
    For you have given them only your flesh, but God has created their souls. So He is obliged to take care of them.

Another elder offered the following thoughts:
    A child needs a lot of guidance and love. Watching television is destructive.
    A man gives his flesh to his child. God creates a child's soul. When a child grows up, the parents are not responsible for him any longer. God assigns a guardian angel to every person born, to help him through his entire life. Therefore should we not trust in God ourselves?
    You ought to help your children to a point. Beyond that, leave them under God's care. Their guardian angel is always by them. One might say, 'If a person yields to temptation, his guardian angel stays away. But the angel does not despair; he stands nearby. Even when one goes astray, still God through the guardian angel sends good thoughts to that person.
    We should not distance ourselves from God, for that is so painful. The guardian angel tries throughout one's life to introduce good thoughts, waits and suffers, is saddened when a man commits a sin, and stands before God empty-handed. Let us think about that! That alone creates such pain! If for only this reason, one should not distance himself from God's presence by refusing to do His will. Some angels with some effort, and some with none at all, present a man's soul to God. But other angels with great effort, torment and suffering come before God empty-handed. It is so painful. Imagine! It is worthwhile for one to strive with dignity so that his guardian angel might not be hurt. There are many people who have seen their guardian angel. If only one can see his angel, he will not ask for anything else. When we see little infants smile when sleeping, it is because they see their angel.
    You ought to teach small children how to pray, for God answers their prayers. The children's prayer ought to enter their hearts. There is no benefit from a prayer unless it is from the depth of one's heart.
    Try to help children when they are small with kindness, so that they experience a deeper meaning of life. Always treat them with kindness.

To his visitors an experienced ascetic gave good advice on raising children:
    I am still sad because I did not go to confession until I was eighteen years old. I am still sad about it. When a child is about six to seven, it is time to see a spiritual father. Let it be so.
    So, as soon as you return to your homes from the Holy Mountain, pay attention to your children, catechize them, and guard them, especially with your prayers. Pray as Patriarch Jacob prayed for his children. Pray like this 'Holy Theotokos, protect, help and oversee my children.' Also cross yourselves while praying and chant a hymn to Panagia. Watch over them. Make sure you know where they go at night and with whom they keep company. For bad company destroys good morals. Your child might be good, but someone else's might be a bad influence on him. This is my advice to all lay people.

أخ/ت مبارك/ة الصورة الرمزية Mayda
    التسجيل: Sep 2007
    العضوية: 635
    هواياتي: Reading, Reading & Reading
    الحالة: Mayda غير متواجد حالياً
    المشاركات: 2,709

Array

افتراضي رد: Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)

s-ool-449

أخ/ت مجتهد/ة
    التسجيل: May 2009
    العضوية: 6180
    هواياتي: المطالعة
    الحالة: Salwa غير متواجد حالياً
    المشاركات: 585

Array

Amen.

Welcome Brother in God Ionnis in your family. We hope that you will enjoy your time with us and that you will share us with more of the Athonite teachings.

Thank you so much for these teachings.
    اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة Ioannis مشاهدة المشاركة
    Watching television is destructive
    Yes so much

I am still sad because I did not go to confession until I was eighteen years old. I am still sad about it. When a child is about six to seven, it is time to see a spiritual father. Let it be so.
    It is sad that not many parents encourage their child to search for a spiritual father. It is really nice to see a very young person, a child, sitting next to his spiritual father. I believe that Yeronda will very much admire it.

May we translate this article to arabic?

Pray for me

أخ/ت جديد/ة

Array

افتراضي Re: رد: Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة Salwa مشاهدة المشاركة
    May we translate this article to arabic?

Don't ask. Everything from "gerontikon" belongs to every Orthodox. Please do it

I will continue this threat.

المشرفة العامة
    فريق عمل الشبكة
    الصورة الرمزية Nahla Nicolas
    التسجيل: Apr 2008
    العضوية: 2868
    الإقامة: venezuela
    هواياتي: المطالعة
    الحالة: Nahla Nicolas غير متواجد حالياً
    المشاركات: 2,897

Array

God bless

s-ool-448

أخ/ت جديد/ة

Array

افتراضي Re: رد: Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)

On Purity of the Senses and the Heart

An elderly ascetic told us: "Any monastic who ventures out into the world should be extremely careful when conversing with people. This is particularly true of female monks who need experienced spiritual fathers to tell them how to maintain the purity of their senses."

Father Neophytos was the spiritual father of Little St. Anne's. He occupied the hermitage of the Holy Archangels, the place where St. Agapios had lived and written The Salvation of Sinners. At one time Father Neophytos had gone to the Island of Tinos in order to serve as the celebrant priest in one of the women's monasteries there. In this community all the nuns were attempting to live a pure life. One of them, who was blind, went to confession to Father Neophytos and revealed the impure thoughts which she had had about him. He was so dismayed that he immediately returned to Little St. Anne's.

He was sad and puzzled: how could Satan introduce such thoughts to a blind person? He decided one day to invite answers from all the neighbouring spiritual fathers. He discussed the question with Fathers Stephanos, Kyprianos, and Kosmas, and with a subordinate sent by Father Ignatios who, although the most experienced of them all, happened to be ill at the time. His subordinate's name was Ignatios also. He was from Ismirne and had had the desire to be a monk from a very early age.

All the elders started to discuss this issue: how could a blind nun be tempted by improper thoughts? But though they were spiritually mature, they were unable to resolve the question. Then the turn of the young Father Ignatios came. "Your voice, Father, became the cause of such thoughts to the blind nun, thoughts which she reflected upon and then went to confess." All the fathers were impressed with his answer and blessed his words.

An elder said: "Monk, beware! Do not extend your hand to any woman, not even your own mother, so that you can attain the spiritual heights of our forefathers. Pay attention when you are in the world. Restrain from laughing and joking, so that while conversing, your teeth may not be seen. When you observe all of these practices, the purity of your life will teach you higher things."

In 1955 a miracle occurred to a brother from Dionysiou: the appearance of St. John the Baptist to him. We were told of the occurrence by the ever memorable Elder Lazaros. He was talking as if it were of a third person, but we realized that it was really about him.
    A brother from the monastery who was sent to Thessaloniki stayed in a hotel where he was unwillingly tempted. A pretty young woman approached him, a family acquaintance, asking him questions about the fathers and the Holy Mountain. The discussion went on for a long time and her intention became clear when she offered him hospitality in her room, extending her hand to him saying: 'We'll be going just for a moment, and will return right away.'

"His fall would have been actualized if at that moment he had not been protected by his prayer to and trust in St. John the Baptist. He pleaded for the saint to intercede and save him from such a pitfall. And indeed a sudden blinding light shone in her room and in the midst of it appeared St. John, who snatched him up and returned him to his room at the opposite end of the hotel floor."

An elder said: "A good man views all women as if they were his own sisters. Even when he sees an immoral woman, he should say to himself: 'If this woman were my blood sister, I would be very embarrassed.' Then he would not have take advantage of her."

The enlightened Father loakim from St. Anne's, who was like a brother to our elder, said: "Whoever desires to be pure, let him be careful, strict, and watchful of himself, not even holding his own hands together. In gatherings he should be careful about how he talks and looks around, and avoid contact with handsome people and anything else which might connect him to a fall from chastity and purity of life." For our contemporary Father Joseph the Hesychast, relentless was the war against the flesh. This war lasted eight years, which is a long time for someone who had remained pure of any carnal sins since childhood. He would say that whenever he was reaching the point of exhaustion in the struggle, he would start all over again, after being strengthened by God's grace. But for him, as time passed, the war was intensified almost endlessly. 'At the same time, I did not give up my defence tactics, which were all-night vigils and self-inflicted beatings. I wept, sighed and prayed to our Lady Theotokos. The struggle slowed down for awhile so that I could catch my breath, and then it started all over again, more intensely than before. My body got weaker and I lost my strength. I was consoled only in prayer, and that was a comforting sign."

He mobilized all practical methods for a victorious ending of the struggle, such as all-night vigils, hardship, hunger, thirst, beatings, and tears. He gave up his bed and slept sitting on a wooden stool made into an armchair to rest his arms. He did this for the duration of the entire war.

أخ/ت مبارك/ة الصورة الرمزية Mayda
    التسجيل: Sep 2007
    العضوية: 635
    هواياتي: Reading, Reading & Reading
    الحالة: Mayda غير متواجد حالياً
    المشاركات: 2,709

Array

An elder said: "A good man views all women as if they were his own sisters. Even when he sees an immoral woman, he should say to himself: 'If this woman were my blood sister, I would be very embarrassed.' Then he would not have take advantage of her."
    Very true... Thank you very much

أخ/ت جديد/ة

Array

افتراضي Re: Athonite Gerontikon (Αθωνικό Γεροντικό)

On Simplicity (1)

There was an ascetic in Karoulia, the Holy Mountain's most austere desert, who had a little kitten to comfort him and to protect him from snakes and mice. One day a vulture was flying over and from the solitary sky spotted its prey, dived down, and snatched the kitten up in its claws.
    The ascetic was upset and, not knowing what to do, immediately entered his chapel to lodge a complaint to the hermitage's saintly protector. He went up to the oil lamp hanging before the protector's icon and blew out the flame to emphasize the point he was going to make. He had always considered this saint his friend, so he told him about the sad incident and demanded his help. "Why, my saint, did you not protect the kitten?" he complained.
    At that very moment he heard the kitten crying outside the door. It had been freed from the attacker's talons.

--------------------------

An elder once told me a similar story about a monk who had gone to Karyes for some errand and had left the door of his cell open, trusting in the protection of St. Nicholas, its patron. When he returned he found that thieves had stripped the cell of everything. He then went to the church and with courage and in a friendly tone of voice said to St. Nicholas, "Why did you not protect the cell from robbers, my saint? Starting today unless you reveal the robbers, I will not light your lampada." And he did just as he had threatened.
    A few days later the thieves were caught, an evidence of the elder's faith, confidence, and simplicity, as well as of St. Nicholas' real presence there. In fact, the robbers humbled themselves and repented, and returned everything they had taken to the elder.

------------------------

A very simple monk named Ermolaos lived in Great Lavra where his obedience was to herd the monastery's rams. He wore tattered clothes and carried his prayer rope in his hand always. He was completely guileless, with a primitive, innocent soul which was filled with divine grace. It is said that he once saw Panagia in Lavra walking around. He did not realize who she was and said, "What is a woman doing in Lavra?" One of the workmen was abusive to Ermolaos: he would swear at him and put him out in the snow, but the simple one endured all of it calmly and with kindness. It was the hermit Damaskinos from St. Basil's desert who told us many things about this Ermolaos

أخ/ت جديد/ة

Array

On Judging and Criticism

A spiritual father confessor named Benjamin, when a person who had come to him for confession was talk-only about others and criticising his brothers, would ,e "penitent" away until he could correct himself and his attitude.
    The most simple Dionysiatan monk Elder David would tell his visitors this about criticism: "Be careful; do not say person does this and the other does that. If you do so, you lose Christ's grace. Even if you see a person acting like -.do not criticize. Love your neighbour as you would your own self. This is what Christ tells us to do."

------------------------------------

A young visitor once was scandalized when he saw the we! known spiritual father Gregorios caressing his cat, and he criticized him. It so happened, however, that this your person who was so judgmental later found himself destitute in Turkey, and he went to the ambassador there to ask for job.
    "I have nothing else to offer except that I need , someone : to look after my dog; if you take the job you can feed whatever is left over after my dog has eaten."
    The young man accepted the employment, because at that time he did not have even one piece of bread to eat But when he came to himself, he realized the terrible « he was in, and he thought that it was a retribution for |t ing Father Gregorios. When he had an opportunity, he wend by boat to Mount Athos and to Small St. Anne's, when. bowed to the spiritual father and asked his forgiveness
    Father Gregorios said to him, "I knew you had judged. me, my son, and our souls' enemy sent you away, a' prayed to St. Anne to bring you back, and she did. Beware, though! Do not judge the monastics, for many times' hide their virtues and pretend they are fools, so that t might not be praised."

The God-inspired spiritual father Savvas never critics anyone. When they would ask him, "What kind of per is that, Father?" he would always say, "That man is a saintly man!"

An elderly monk said, 'Always, when you are tempted criticize, you should put a question mark on the whole situation and not judge. For we do not know what is really going on."

The famous father Dionysios, one of the Kartsonians, advised the monk Daniel: "My son, from the things hear against someone you should not believe anything believe only half of what you see. In fact, not even half of it. For many pretend to be fools. Do not judge."

أخ/ت جديد/ة

Array

On Compunction and Tears

The ever memorable hegumen of Dionysiou, Archimandrite Gabriel, used to say that the monk Gerontios, who was the typikaris1 at St. Panteleimon, spent most of his time day and night in the church, with compunction as his constant companion. All of his free time was spent in the narthex, using his left hand to do his prayer rope and his right to wipe away the tears which were streaming down his face. For this he used a cloth which he would wash in the sea.

He came originally from Kydonia in Asia Minor where he had killed a Turk who was assaulting a young Christian woman. No one knows whether or not he meant to kill him while he was wrestling with him. Ever since that event, Monk Gerontios had lived in the Russian monastery quietly and peacefully, more harmless than a lamb.

In 1911, on the Friday of the fifth week of Lent, the novice Dionysios (later to become Hegumen Gabriel) was in the Russikon church during Orthros of the Great Canon, which takes place there as a vigil. That mystagogical service remained unforgettable in his heart. He saw, he says, "as in a vision," the venerable elder Gerontios wiping his tears while chanting, "Where can I begin to lament for the deeds of my miserable life?" And when he chanted the ode's last Theotokion, his heart was at such a height of compunction that, lifting his hands towards her holy face with tear-filled eyes and the familiarity of a son he chanted, "Panagia, the hope of those who pray to you with great emotion: lift the heavy yoke of my sins from me."

When this ever memorable elder started to read the biography of St. Mary of Egypt, Hegumen Gabriel continued, it was a unique and unforgettable scene of fifty or more elder monks, Russian speaking, who were gathered closely together around the typikaris' analogion, some of them kneeling, and others, very old, sitting on the floor with crossed legs, listening without blinking an eye which was focused on the typikaris' lips, not understanding a lot, I thought, but captivated by the reader's compunction and his wonderful manner of reading. As he kept on reading with unsurpassed emotion, the warmth in his voice increased and his inner spiritual contrition became more and more apparent . . . and as he reached that great emotional point of the dialogue between Father Zosimas and St. Maria, the one asking 'tell me, holy woman of God' and her answering Abba Zosimas ....', the sweet elder was unable to control himself from bursting with emotion. He broke down into uncontrolled sobbing and tears, thus spreading this emotion to the entire congregation.

------------------------------------------

"You cultivated with your outpouring of tears the barren desert of St. Basil and the Karmilion peak, and you became a luminary, our father Gerasimos." Indeed hesychastic elder Gerasimos became a champion labourer of tears and a transmitter of light with noetic prayer. For seventeen years he did his ascetic labours on the Karmilion peak of Prophet Elias, west of Kerasia, beneath Athos' peak. It was an heroic existence, battling constantly against nature's elements — wind, thunder and lightening, rain and snow — and against the full guile of demons. He slept in the Lord at the age of ninety.

An elder said: "A heart cleanses itself with a sigh in response to God's grace. We should soak our soul in tears; but one deep, painful sigh is equal to two basketsful of tears."
    There were monks who lit the oil lamps in St. Anne's skete, and in the cenobion, who during their sacred obedience before the holy icons had eyes brimming with tears.

He came to the Holy Mountain from Cyprus. He was known for his cleansed mind and simple heart. He was graced with tearful prayers and a hesychastic life. He would leave his meal to withdraw into his cell in order to weep. Such was Elder Dionsios of St. Anne's.

The eyes of the Russian hermit Father Tychon were always full of tears. He would wipe them constantly with a wet handkerchief which he carried always in his hand. His stole was usually damp with tears, and the wooden cross he used to bless with, was worn out. He would often say that we ought to wash Jesus' feet with our tears all the days of our lives, and wipe them with our hair while prostrating ourselves before Him. In his own cell, the wooden cross before which he prayed was soaked with his tears.

Father Daniel, the hesychast who lived in St. Peter's G celebrated the liturgy daily for sixty years, using the liturgy of St. Basil in order to experience the service more intensely. He had such compunction that he always soaked the ground with his tears. And immediately afterwards he would'.' draw in solitude so that he might not lose his compunction.

Of strong constitution and called "the Faster," Andreas ascetic from St. Anne had come originally from Epiros was robust and rugged. Full of love, he was always eager help and comfort those who were climbing up the hill carrying a heavy load from the shore to the monastery 'scrub; He lacked formal education, but he has God's wisdom; he was granted the gift of pure, ceaseless prayer. He prayed continually to the Theotokos, shedding rivers compunction ate tears, full of heavenly love.

المفضلات

المفضلات

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
  • لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك
  •